HIPPY [Home Interaction Programme for Parents and Youngsters]
HIPPY is a two-year home-based parenting and early childhood enrichment programme that builds the confidence and skills of parents to create a positive learning environment through which to prepare their 3 ½ - 4 ½ year old child for school
How HIPPY works:
The 60 week curriculum worked over two years, comprises of 60 weekly workbooks with activities that develop both the cognitive and social skills that are essential for children to become competent learners.
Your HIPPY Tutor delivers the weekly workbook to your home and role-plays the workbook with you before you role-play the workbook with your child. Your tutor visits you fortnightly, on the alternate fortnights you attend a HIPPY group meeting alongside other HIPPY families and your tutor role-plays your weekly workbook at the group meeting.
Benefits of HIPPY:
- HIPPY encourages a love of learning
- HIPPY children arrive at school ready to learn, and settle into the learning environment
- HIPPY children retain their competency in reading and numeracy skills
- Helps create a learning environment at home
- Increases parents’ knowledge of child development and the way children learn
- Provides parents with opportunities to enjoy positive time with their children
- Enables parents to be actively involved in their children’s education
- Supports parents to meet regularly and promotes a sense of inclusion and connectedness with their community
- Increases parents’ self-confidence
- Has an overall positive impact on family relationships
- Promotes language and listening skills and develops concentration
- Builds self-esteem and confidence in learning
- Improves communication between parents and children
For parents/caregivers of a child with mild to moderate behavioural difficulties. It is available for parents of children from birth to 12 years.
How Triple P works: A face-to-face intervention with a trained and certified Triple P facilitator either in your home or at our office with approximately four individual consultations of between 30 and 60 minutes. Developing strategies using Triple material and resources.
Triple P Discussion Groups – Two-hour small group sessions, held in your local community targeting a specific problem behaviour or issue. Each discussion group can be taken as a stand-alone session or as part of a series. There are four topics for parents of children 0 –12, Dealing with disobedience; Managing fighting and aggression; Developing good bedtime routines; and Hassle-free shopping with children
One-on-one sessions delivered in your families’ homes or at our office and designed to meet your specific parenting goals. This service is for parents/caregivers of children aged 0-14 years and is individually designed by you with the support of our trained and qualified staff. Commonly experienced parenting issues we can assist with include the following: bedtime routines, parenting infants, toddlers and young children, getting children to sleep, dealing with aggressive behaviour, helping children to achieve at school, dealing with disobedience, bedwetting, fussy eaters, pre-adolescent behaviour, truancy, separation, boundary setting and behaviour management.
Our Aims and Values
Manaakitanga: To support families and the role of positive parenting.
Whanaungatanga: To support families with each other and with their community and support families to work together collaboratively and collectively.
Whakapapa: To develop, deliver and nurture inter-generational positive parenting strategies to families.
To normalise the positive parenting role in our community.